Reading Time:  3 Minutes

Captain Charles (born 1965) is a writer, journalist, and a former officer in the Seaforth Highlanders of the Canadian Forces. Greene sustained a massive brain injury after a much publicized attack on March 4, 2006, in the Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. Greene is notable for being one of the first recipients of the and being the subject of a feature-length documentary that won a Gemini Award, Peace Warrior, which documents his recovery. Greene was also a torch-bearer for the 2010 Vancouver Paralympics.

Greene deployed to Afghanistan in 2006 as a Civilian- Cooperation (CIMIC) officer, volunteering from his home unit of .

On March 6, 2006, his , composed of members of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, 1st Battalion, Alpha Company, visited a number of villages, including the village of Shinkay in the , to talk with the village elders about access to clean water and other basic needs under Canada’s area of responsibility. After the soldiers removed their helmets, a common practice as a sign of respect, Abdul Kareem (or Abdullah Karim), a sixteen-year-old boy, almost split Greene’s brain in half by hitting him with a locally made axe. Kareem tried to hit again but was shot and killed by other members of the . The then came under heavy fire while waiting for a US Army helicopte Greene received care on the helicopter, and medic Gary Adams was able to unblock his airway. Greene was transported to the then Canadian-led hospital at Kandahar Air Field where he was stabilized.

He was later evacuated to the Ramstein Air Base in Germany from which he was transferred to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, the largest US Army medical facility outside the continental United States. There, he underwent further to allow his brain to swell without causing further damage.

Shortly after being stabilized, Greene was transferred from Landstuhl to the , where doctors initially thought he would never come out of his coma. Greene underwent two bilateral cranioplasties, with the second one successfully repairing his skull. He was also subject to physiotherapy sessions, which lacked results, at first. Greene was then released from the hospital and was transferred to a private-care rehabilitation center in Langley, BC. On April 30, 2007 started speech therapy sessions.

Greene’s Arid CADPAT Afghanistan s and kit including his armoured vest and his green CADPAT tactical vest (which the medics cut off of him when he was injured) are in the collection of the Seaforth Foundation and have been displayed in Museum and Archives. His rank insignia on the s is still that of as he was promoted the day of the attack and had not yet changed to a Captain’s rank. (Seaforth Foundation Accession Number 2009.3.1 etc.)

In July 2007, Greene was admitted to the Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury in Ponoka, Alberta, for long-term care and rehabilitation. At that stage, he had made slow but significant progress, and was able to open and close his hands, among other things.

In December 2007, Canadian Forces engineers installed a lift at Lepore’s residence in Alberta, which allowed Greene to come home for Christmas and on week-ends. Around the same time, they also received a wheelchair accessible van from the then-new Casualty Support Foundation.

In September 2008, Greene moved to Nanaimo, BC, with his wife and daughter, after spending 14 months at the Alberta facility. As of 2010, Greene is now able to stand, but still cannot walk.